Meditation is one of the Eight Limbs of Yoga, as defined by the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. Meditation is a practice of concentrated focus upon a sound, object, visualization, the breath, movement, or attention itself in order to increase awareness of the present moment, reduce stress, promote relaxation, and enhance personal and spiritual growth.
Meditation is considered to be one of the better therapies for panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, substance dependence and dysthymic disorder. It is considered to be a valuable adjunctive therapy for moderate hypertension (high blood pressure), prevention of cardiac arrest (heart attack), prevention of atherosclerosis (hardening of arteries), arthritis (including fibromyalgia), cancer, insomnia, migraine, and prevention of stroke.
BENEFITS OF MEDITATION
- It increases blood flow, exercise tolerance and slows the heart rate.
- Leads to a deeper level of physical relaxation.
- Good for people with high blood pressure.
- Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
- Decreases muscle tension and relaxes our nervous system.
- Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis etc.
- Reduces pre-menstrual syndrome symptoms.
- Helps in post-operative healing.
- Enhances the immune system.
- Reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress.
- Reduces free radicals, less tissue damage and improves skin resistance.
- Significant relief from asthma.
- Reduces cholesterol levels, lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Decreases the aging process.
- Higher levels of DHEAS (Dehydroepiandrosterone).
- Cure headaches & migraines.
- Greater orderliness of brain functioning.
- Harmonizes our endocrine system.